DEVONthink is DEVONtechnologies’ document and information management solution. It supports a large variety of file formats and stores them in a database enhanced by artificial intelligence (AI). Many document formats can be directly viewed, edited, and annotated. A powerful search language finds documents in an instant, smart groups keep them always at hand.
Sophisticated organization tools, AI-based techniques that handle even the largest collections, and numerous integration options make DEVONthink the work environment of choice for researchers, lawyers, and educators. Smart rules, flexible reminders, and deep AppleScript support allow automating even complex repeating tasks. And with its fast, reliable, and secure synchronization users keep their data available on all their Macs. DEVONthink To Go for iPad and iPhone completes the DEVONthink ecosystem.
- Keeps your data together
- Scans your paper
- Archives your email
- Assists you with A.I.
- Syncs your data securely
- Automates repeating tasks
- Lets you share your data
- DEVONthink runs natively on Intel- and ARM-based Macs.
- Added support for importing bookmarks from the Brave web browser.
- Added a New Window submenu to the contextual menu of the Dock icon.
- Added a new
Check Bookmarkssmart rule action for checking if the URL of the item is valid. Any issues or detected changes are shown in the Log window. This action replaces the "Check Links" smart rule script, though the already installed script will not be not removed so existing smart rules remain functional.
- Prism support includes now Python, Perl, and PHP.
- Added hidden preferences
MonospacedSidebarFontto toggle using a monospaced system font in the views or sidebar. This requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Updated some interface elements for the upcoming macOS Big Sur.
- Items can be directly dragged from a database to the desired position in the Favorites section of the Navigate sidebar. In addition, smart group (
.dtSmartGroup) and smart rule (
.dtSmartRule) files and local smart groups can be also directly dragged to the desired position in the sidebar.
- Items expanded during drag and drop in the Navigate sidebar are now only collapsed again if the option Automatically expand & collapse is enabled in Preferences > General.
- The Reading List is now automatically updated after renaming an item or changing its icon or thumbnail.
- Markdown documents support Bold and Italic in the Format > Style menu and the Editing bar.
- Clicking file links in indexed web or Markdown documents no longer launches the default application if the linked file is part of the database.
- Automatic Wiki linking supports text in parenthesis in Markdown documents.
- Improved support for PDF Note annotations created by PSPDFKit.
- Improved clipping of PDF documents from Google Chrome by ignoring the browser's HTML source code to display the document.
- In Preferences > WikiLinks, MashedWords, Square brackets, and Names and Aliases can be used concurrently.
- Added tooltips and accessibility help to the Rating menu.
- File > Close Database > Close All skips databases which can't be immediately closed, e.g., when they're actively synchronizing.
- If a warning about major errors is shown when opening a database, synchronization will be automatically disabled internally.
- On startup, a message is now logged to the Log window if the Flash Player plugin is detected.
- A notification is added to the system's notification center each hour during the last 12 hours of the trial.
- Moving or duplicating items tagged with ordinary tags to other databases tries now to retain the hierarchy of nested tags in the receiving database's Tags group. It also will retain the properties of the original tags, e.g., a user-specified color.
- Documents automatically created by clicking WikiLinks are now always stored in the same location as the original document, including replicants. The new documents also inherit the tags of the original file.
- Editing and saving indexed documents no longer changes the filename, only the extension when necessary. This improves compatibility with third-party applications.
- Default smart rule "Automatic Locking" gets now the condition "Marked as Read" too.
- The table of contents created by merging multiple images and/or PDF documents or File > Export> As PDF document is now more precise.
- Conversion of duplicates to replicants no longer adds multiple replicants to the same group.
- More precise See Also & Classify results in case of items having metadata or properties but no text content, e.g., emails containing only images.
- Fuzzy recognition of document dates now supports dates from the year 1900 up to 2100 (instead of 1950-2050).
- Indexed application-specific iCloud Drive data is no longer read-only.
- Improved support for files and folders exported by ELO Office.
- Improved memory management and reliability of website exports and the conversion to HTML or formatted notes, e.g., from Markdown documents.
- Improved and faster Markdown indexing.
- Improved reliability of background downloads, e.g., while converting a large number of bookmarks to web archives, PDF, formatted notes, etc.
- Background tasks support automatic graphics switching. This might increase the battery life on some MacBooks.
- Updated the SkimNotes framework.
- Installation of the Mail plugin asks now for full disk access, if necessary.
- Improved memory usage and the detection of CJK fonts and languages in the OCR engine and application.
- Resuming interrupted syncs is now more reliable.
- More efficient chunking of small items not modified or opened within the last year while uploading to sync stores. This can speed up uploading and maintenance of sync stores and reduce the cloud and disk space usage.
- More reliable synchronization of tags, for example after replicating ordinary tags.
- Increased the number of retries in case of rate limiting Dropbox errors.
- Increased the Dropbox timeout to reduce the likelihood of unnecessary timeouts.
- Slightly reduced CPU and battery usage of Dropbox syncs.
- Faster sorting of records before uploading.
- After removing all tags of an item, the Finder tags of its Spotlight metadata file were not always removed. Fixed.
- Certain VCards crashing Quick Look could subsequently crash the application. Fixed.
- Changes to global smart group and smart rule sorting were not persistent without making other changes. Fixed.
- Choosing a filter in Tools > Filters did not automatically show the Navigate sidebar. Fixed.
- Custom icons of items in the Reading List sometimes incorrectly displayed a border. Fixed.
- Custom metadata placeholders in rich text annotation templates didn't work. Fixed.
- Disabling unified inboxes and tags in Preferences > General didn't fully reload the main view of main windows showing them. Fixed.
- Document dates with certain month names weren't detected. Fixed.
- Emoji placeholders used in links in Markdown documents could break the links. Fixed.
- Encrypted databases were unmounted by macOS Catalina when using Time Machine with networked drives. Fixed. This change also ensures the encrypted databases will continue to be backed up by Time Machine.
- Global smart groups and smart rules were not always updated, e.g., after printing a selected document to DEVONthink. Fixed.
- Hashtags in Markdown documents couldn't be converted to tags. Fixed.
- Information shown in the Editing bar, e.g., word counts, wasn't updated after typing or changing the selection. Fixed.
- Item links having a trailing slash, e.g., added by Microsoft Outlook, didn't work. Fixed.
- Logging while updating the Reading List during sync could crash the application. Fixed.
- Long custom metadata names were not always truncated in the pop-ups of the Info > Custom inspector. Fixed.
- Moving a replicated item from the unified inboxes to the trash moved all replicants. Fixed.
- Opening a workspace containing the Tags filter without the Navigate sidebar being visible could crash the application. Fixed.
- Reminders sending emails or reminders triggering smart rules which are executing scripts could freeze the application. Fixed.
- Renaming groups in the Navigate sidebar had issues. Fixed.
- Saving modified Markdown documents when automatic Wiki links were enabled could crash the application. Fixed.
- Smart group, smart rule, and search criteria querying document properties, e.g., creator, did not work when using
does not begin with. Fixed.
- Smart rules were sometimes performed by the On Import event trigger before background indexing, e.g., of PDF documents, was complete. Fixed.
Open tab for URLAppleScript command always returned a missing value. Fixed.
- The Clip to DEVONthink section of the Sorter had layout issues after using the browser extension. Fixed.
toargument of the
compare contentAppleScript command wasn't used. Fixed.
- The PDF annotations panel didn't retain the border width when it was previously set to 0. Fixed.
- The sort order of groups by name wasn't always correct when Keep groups on top when sorting was enabled in the preferences. Fixed.
- The toolbar search didn't accept
- The widths and order of List view columns in global smart groups or smart rules were not always saved or restored. Fixed.
- Updating of RSS feeds not using the automatic format and other actions could cause unnecessary notifications in the user notification center. Fixed.
- Volumes already unmounted by Time Machine were tried again to be unmounted. Fixed.
- The number of OCR runs was limited due to an issue with the license expiring. Fixed.
- Cancelling an OCR operation wasn't stopping the process. Fixed.
- PDFs generated by OCR could show existing annotation in the image layer. Fixed.
- PDFs generated by OCR did not retain the creation date. Fixed.
- Some text in PDFs generated by OCR wasn't editable. Fixed.
- The OCR had a memory leak and a font cache issue. Fixed.
- The OCR had issues when specifying secondary languages. Fixed.
- The page size of PDFs generated by OCR was reported incorrectly. Fixed.
- Trying to OCR PDFs without print permission created blank PDFs. Fixed.
- An overview scan was not displayed on macOS High Sierra and below. Fixed.
- Archiving email via the View > Import sidebar could crash the application. Fixed.
- Indexing attachments of email messages could add the word "null" to the index and concordance. Fixed. This would also adversely affect See Also & Classify results.
- The Bonjour network browser could crash the application. Fixed.
- The garbage collection of sync stores had issues after moving indexed items into the database. Fixed.
OS X 10.11.5 or later, 64-bit processor