BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents.
- Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
- Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, XZ, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX, DMG, EPUB, and Winmail.dat.
- Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
- Protect Your Data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
- Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
- Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac-specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
- Saving an archive with an invalid regex exclusion pattern could crash BetterZip.
- The archive name in the navigation bar was not updated after opening archive.
- DMG disk images couldn’t be created through a preset using the operations queue, e.g., from the BetterZip menu in Finder.
- You could choose to split a disk image, even though the format doesn’t support splitting.
- The Internet Access Policy used by Little Snitch now describes that in order to install the external rar tool, access to rarlabs.com is required.
- The menu command Help > Open BetterZip’s Application Support Folder is now disabled, if that folder doesn’t exist. Currently this folder is only created, if you have BetterZip download and install the external rar tool.
- In the preferences the file association for the Apple Disk Image type couldn’t be deselected.
- The title (filename) of a compression operation was shown incorrectly after it finished.
- The queue window showed an ever growing file size when compressing folders.
- The BetterZip Finder extension didn’t work on external disks.
- Not all archive types on the exclusion list were actually excluded from the Favorites sidebar, leading to an error message when opened. The exclusion list was also ignored in the Finder extension.
- BetterZip wouldn’t display and extract all files from certain larger zip archives.
- “Move originals” preset option didn’t work correctly, if Mac specific files were to be included in the archive, but there were none.
- The QL generator didn’t work for some users on macOS 10.13 and 10.14.
OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor