macOS High Sierra introduces new core technologies that improve the most important functions of your Mac. From rearchitecting how it stores your data to improving the efficiency of video streaming to unleashing the full power of your graphics processor, it’s all central to today’s Mac experience.
- Apple File System. Your data is under new management. Your documents. Your photos. Your mail. Your apps. To your Mac, everything you care about is data. And a file system is what organizes all that data into files and folders you can access with a click. Our current file system was designed in the early days of Mac, and it has performed beautifully ever since. But today’s flash‑based Mac systems open up new possibilities for innovation, so it’s time to lay a new foundation. With macOS High Sierra, we’re introducing the Apple File System to every Mac with all‑flash internal storage, with an advanced architecture that brings a new level of security and responsiveness.
- HEVC. The new standard for video. With the rising popularity of 4K video, a new industry standard arrives on Mac – HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding, also known as H.265).1 It can compress video up to 40 percent more than H.264, the current standard for video compression. Using HEVC, videos stream better and take up less space on your Mac, while preserving the same visual quality.
- Metal 2. A graphics game changer. Today’s Mac experience relies more than ever on the graphics processor (GPU) in your computer. And GPUs are becoming more and more powerful. Metal is a technology built into macOS that allows apps to unleash the full power of the GPU. Now Metal 2 not only takes the visual experience to the next level, but also adds capabilities like machine learning, virtual reality, and external GPU support for entertainment and professional creative apps. Whether you play games, create content, or develop software, Metal 2 provides the power to bring your imagination to life.
- Virtual reality for Mac. It’s a whole new world. macOS High Sierra lets developers create interactive virtual reality experiences on Mac for the first time, using the new iMac with Retina 5K display, the new iMac Pro coming in late 2017, or any supported Mac paired with an external GPU.3 With optimized support for Valve’s SteamVR and the HTC Vive VR headset, and content creation apps like Final Cut Pro X, Epic Unreal 4 Editor, and Unity Editor, developers have everything they need to create immersive new worlds for you to explore.
- The macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update improves the stability, performance, and security of your Mac.
- Adds support for Business Chat conversations in Messages in the U.S.
- Adds support for external graphics processors (eGPUs)
- Fixes graphics corruption issues affecting certain apps on iMac Pro
- Allows jumping to the right-most open tab using Command+9 in Safari
- Enables sorting Safari bookmarks by name or URL by right clicking and choosing ‘Sort By…’
- Fixes an issue that may prevent web link previews from appearing in Messages
- Helps protect privacy by only AutoFilling usernames and passwords after selecting them in a web form field in Safari
- Displays warnings in the Safari Smart Search Field when interacting with password or credit card forms on non-encrypted web pages
- Displays privacy icons and links to explain how your data will be used and protected when Apple features ask to use your personal information
OS X 10.8 or later