PopChar helps you get the most out of your font collection. With its crystal-clear interface, PopChar provides a frustration-free way to access any font’s special characters.
- Expanded accessibility – Your Mac includes over 700 fonts, each of which contains thousands of characters — Why not make them as accessible as possible? PopChar makes it happen.
- Interface advantages – PopChar displays easy-to-analyze tables of characters, giving you an ultra-convenient interface. You can’t access most of these characters from your keyboard — PopChar puts them within your reach.
- Liberating compatibility – No matter what app you are using, PopChar brings snappy simplicity to all font-related tasks. Whether you’re working with a word processor or a Web browser, PopChar integrates seamlessly.
- Smarter searching – PopChar’s seasoned search capabilities will help you find what you are looking for, whether you need to search for a character by name, identify fonts that contain specific characters, or explore the entire character set of a font.
- Custom Layouts: It is now possible to create custom groupings and arrangements for characters.
- New "Recent Characters" section is now always available at the top of the character table, right below the favorite characters.
- Predefined layout that arranges emojis by their meaning.
- It is now possible to link fonts with preferred layouts that work best for these fonts.
- Cleaned-up layouts: The legacy layouts ASCII and MacRoman as well as the Recent Characters layout have been removed, as they are no longer needed.
- PopChar now finds and displays ligatures that are available in fonts.
- The "Show x in the Unicode Context" context menu command is now also available for characters in the Favorites group, the new Recent group and in other layouts.
- New view "All Unicode Characters" shows all characters that are defined in the Unicode standard - with placeholders for those that do not have a representation in any installed font.
- PopChar's About window now shows the number of installed fonts and font families.
- New export format for favorite characters with support for font-specific favorites and ligatures.
- Extended list of "zero-width joiner" Emoji sequences, including person roles, male/female variants, and the rainbow flag.
- Updated list of Emoji characters with skin tones.
- PopChar now supports skin tone variants of "zero-width joiner" Emoji sequences.
- Support for Emoji Presentation Sequences for selecting the text or emoji form of characters that can have both presentations.
- Improved fine-tuning for 20 fonts, mostly for improving the display of combining characters.
- PopChar can now insert emojis with skin tones as formatted text and HTML codes.
- Support for Emoji key symbol sequences created with "combining enclosing keycap".
- When selecting "Show x in the Unicode Context", the selected character briefly blinks, so it's easier to find among the other characters.
- Improved handling of font-specific characters in the Private Use Areas.
- Improves the representation of combining characters in the "Character Description".
- Combining characters are now displayed in centered positions within table cells, without overlapping adjacent characters.
- The "Show x in the Unicode Context" context menu command now always shows the selected character in the standard "Unicode Blocks" layout.
- Combining characters no longer overlap with previous text in the context menu.
- Smoother fading animation when opening and closing the PopChar window.
- Improved alignment and space usage for Apple Color Emoji.
- More consistent arrangement of control items in the window header.
- Fixes a problem that resulted in unexpected matches when certain undefined Unicode numbers were entered in the search field.
- Fixes a problem that prevented removal of certain characters from the Favorites group.
- Works around a problem where the previously used layout was not restored when quitting and relaunching PopChar.
- Fixes a cosmetic issue with missing or duplicate separator lines in the context menu.
- Works around a rare crash when checking for a newer version.
- Fixes a cosmetic alignment issue with characters that need to be drawn in a slightly smaller size.
- Fixes a vertical alignment issues of certain fonts within the PopChar table.
- Works around an issue that caused unexpected font substitution when unavailable characters were redrawn in the PopChar window.
- Fixes an error in the handling of Unicode surrogate pairs.
- Fixes a problem where certain wide characters were not correctly drawn on the baseline.
- Correct capitalization of the language name in the font collection menu.
- Works around a bug in the character set implementation of macOS.
- Fixes a problem with a confusing version alert when there was a problem with the network connection.
OS X 10.6 or later