With FontLab (was FontLab Studio), you can create, open, modify, draw, space, kern, hint, and export desktop, web, color, and variable fonts. It is an all-around font editor, but also supports data interchange with other font creation tools, making it easy to integrate into your existing workflows. FontLab brought in the best of their classic apps, FontLab Studio and Fontographer, including many familiar keyboard FontLab shortcuts. But they reconsidered and streamlined every function.
FontLab VI also gives you groundbreaking new drawing tools and responsive contour operations to make your design process easier and more efficient, whether you’re an expert or a beginner. FontLab now supports color and variability, so you can explore these new possibilities and expand your creative reach.
- Open and export:
- OpenType-PS/CFF (OTF)
- OpenType TT / TrueType (TTF)
- Variable OpenType TT (TTF+gvar)
- Color OpenType (TTF+SVG, +COLR, +CBDT, +sbix)
- PostScript Type 1 (PFB/PFA)
- Web fonts (WOFF2, WOFF, EOT)
- FontLab (VFB, VFC, VFJ)
- Import only:
- BitFonter Photofont (PHF+PNG, +SVG)
- Fontographer (FOG)
- and any of the above in ZIP files
- Note: VFC and VFJ files saved in FontLab 6.1.3 cannot be opened in FontLab VI 6.1.2 or in earlier versions.
- Drawing and editing glyphs: move nodes or handles with cursor keys after dragging; add nodes, remove nodes, guides, components or kerning pairs using two mouse buttons; perform direct non-node segment editing with more precision; instantly scale and flip selections with Selection frame; easily make slanted glyph guides; automatically relocate the first node with Set Start Point; use the new Add Nodes action.
- Elements: filter and remove elements in the Gallery panel; easily add new elements/components to a group; remove or reorder elements/components while in Font window; view Scoreboard coordinates when moving elements/components; copy appearance or element structure when filling a new layer with the content of another another font or master.
- Metrics, auto layers and expressions: update linked metrics and auto layers live or on demand; turn auto layers on/off in all masters; enjoy more consistent anchors decomposition; easily edit glyphs from the Metrics window.
- Classes and tags: import and export classes; control what happens when you add glyphs into a Kerning Class; use additional virtual tags.
- Features and hinting: import features from multiple font formats; use tags and virtual tags in feature definitions; manually add horizontal ghost hints.
- Sketchboard: save and restore text boxes.
- Font formats: save backups in a subfolder; easily customize font export settings; use hyphens in glyph names; export single-stroke fonts for engraving; enjoy countless improvements in exporting instances, handling OpenType color fonts and UFO packages.
- App updates: decide if you prefer to get stable or beta versions of FontLab VI.
- Bug fixes: glyph drawing and editing, Tunni lines, Smart Corners, flattening of compound glyphs, Paste Special, the Mask layer, Element Guides, the Gallery panel, the Font Window, OpenType features, TrueType hinting, Undo, Python and font format support.
OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor