Espresso is back. For people who make delightful, innovative, and fast websites — in an app to match. Espresso helps you write, code, design, build, and publish with flair and efficiency. Sophisticated text features, amazing Live Preview with Browser Xray, CSSEdit tools, the Navigator, Dynamo auto-building, and Server Sync. Whether you’re starting from scratch or tweaking a live site, Espresso has you covered.
- Browser Preview and Xray – Local project? Enjoy the best auto-refresh in the business. Xray your page layout to quickly edit relevant styles. The best part? It works in Chrome, Firefox and Safari (including Technology Preview).
- Overrides with Live Styling and Xray – Change CSS for live sites and see your design update in real-time. No need to publish, reload or even save. Only Espresso makes playing with live projects this fun, easy and non-destructive.
- CSSEdit Tools for Supercharged Style Sheets – The new Espresso lets you build first-class standard CSS, but also modular SCSS and LESS. Styling is a joy with the beautiful Navigator, auto-building by Dynamo and incredible integration with Live Preview and Overrides. Our award-winning CSSEdit visual tools and code formatting live on inside Espresso, with frictionless editors for colors, gradients, shadows, layouts and more – available for standard and dynamic CSS. Everything just works.
- Zen Snippets – Zen shortcuts let you combine and expand abbreviations based on tags and custom snippets.
- Toolbar Favorites – Customize your toolbar with contextual actions, snippets and menus for quick access.
- Templates – For files, folders or projects. Use a built-in one, or save your reusable bits. A real time-saver.
- Workspace – Now with the flexibility of tabs while integrating even more smoothly with your project files.
- Open Quickly – Switch between documents without taking your fingers off the keyboard. It’s Go time.
- Solid Basics – Zippy editing. CodeSense. Folding. Indentation guides. Bracket balancing. All there, quietly helping.
- Multi-Edit – Make many changes at once, not one change many times. Multiple selections make renaming things a breeze.
- Navigator – No mere function menu. Effortlessly navigate your code structure with groups, style previews and Quick Filter.
- Language Support – Out of the box: HTML, (S)CSS, LESS, JS, CoffeeScript, PHP, Ruby, Python, Apache and XML. Extensible with syntax plug-ins.
- Fantastic Find – Needle and haystack no more. Project Find and Replace, Quick Filter and colorized regex make searching through files or text a breeze.
- Plug-In Power – Espresso comes with an extensive plug-in API for actions, syntaxes, formatting, and more. Check out the Power Up section.
- The Dynamics of Static – We dig the inherently secure speed of static websites, and the convenience, reusability and flexibility in dynamic content systems. So, we started Dynamo: Espresso’s built-in build infrastructure. It elevates the languages you know and love, producing content without server requirements. Opt in and discover auto-building with unrivaled Live Preview integration where you need it most.
- Superb CSS – SCSS and LESS are popular for their nested rules, variables and functions. Espresso has fantastic support, even when using them with Preview Overrides.
- Markdown and HTML – Reuse page components with imports and smart paths. Generate entire folders with template mixins (our blog!).
- In-App Beta – Advanced CSS support is solid and absolutely dynamite, but we’re still evaluating some features like folder template mixins. They may change significantly later.
- Say Hello to Clodette – With Quick Publish, Server Sync and Quick Browse, you have the right tools for all your publishing needs. Ready for action in the new Clodette overview menu.
- Server Sync – Keep entire projects in sync with their server. Also pushing a specific folder to a CDN? No problem! Cloud Attack powers super-fast change detection and parallel transfers.
- App-Wide Favorites – Server credentials are now saved globally – or not at all, ideal for one-off transfers. Many sites on one server? One favorite can power multiple Project Servers, each connecting to its own folder.
- Quick Publish on Save – Introduced way back, auto-upload-on-save is still a goodie. Use the action menu for more manual control. All seamlessly integrated with your Project Servers – project-wide or folder specific.
- Documents with an unknown extension now show a panel letting the user pick a language, optionally applying it for all documents of the same type.
- Re-indenting behavior for Zen Snippets can now be specified for individual snippets.
- Documents for which the encoding could not be reliably detected can now still be opened.
- Permissions when uploading new files/folders should now be compatible with more servers.
- Duplicating, renaming then editing a file sometimes opening multiple Workspace tabs.
- Xray not picking up selectors inside @media or ::before/::after pseudo-elements.
- Xray no longer responding when going back/forward in the page's browsing history.
- Xray showing the compiled CSS rule, instead of the original SCSS/LESS style.
- Overrides not working for @imports when the base override has multiple @imports.
- Undo grouping with seemingly unrelated edits.
- Syntax inconsistencies with HTML and LESS.
- LESS import statements resulting in a Dynamo error.
macOS 10.12.2 or later, 64-bit processor