Espresso is back. For people who make delightful, innovative, and fast websites — in an app to match. Espresso helps you write, code, design, build, and publish with flair and efficiency. Sophisticated text features, amazing Live Preview with Browser Xray, CSSEdit tools, the Navigator, Dynamo auto-building, and Server Sync. Whether you’re starting from scratch or tweaking a live site, Espresso has you covered.
- Browser Preview and Xray – Local project? Enjoy the best auto-refresh in the business. Xray your page layout to quickly edit relevant styles. The best part? It works in Chrome, Firefox and Safari (including Technology Preview).
- Overrides with Live Styling and Xray – Change CSS for live sites and see your design update in real-time. No need to publish, reload or even save. Only Espresso makes playing with live projects this fun, easy and non-destructive.
- CSSEdit Tools for Supercharged Style Sheets – The new Espresso lets you build first-class standard CSS, but also modular SCSS and LESS. Styling is a joy with the beautiful Navigator, auto-building by Dynamo and incredible integration with Live Preview and Overrides. Our award-winning CSSEdit visual tools and code formatting live on inside Espresso, with frictionless editors for colors, gradients, shadows, layouts and more – available for standard and dynamic CSS. Everything just works.
- Zen Snippets – Zen shortcuts let you combine and expand abbreviations based on tags and custom snippets.
- Toolbar Favorites – Customize your toolbar with contextual actions, snippets and menus for quick access.
- Templates – For files, folders or projects. Use a built-in one, or save your reusable bits. A real time-saver.
- Workspace – Now with the flexibility of tabs while integrating even more smoothly with your project files.
- Open Quickly – Switch between documents without taking your fingers off the keyboard. It’s Go time.
- Solid Basics – Zippy editing. CodeSense. Folding. Indentation guides. Bracket balancing. All there, quietly helping.
- Multi-Edit – Make many changes at once, not one change many times. Multiple selections make renaming things a breeze.
- Navigator – No mere function menu. Effortlessly navigate your code structure with groups, style previews and Quick Filter.
- Language Support – Out of the box: HTML, (S)CSS, LESS, JS, CoffeeScript, PHP, Ruby, Python, Apache and XML. Extensible with syntax plug-ins.
- Fantastic Find – Needle and haystack no more. Project Find and Replace, Quick Filter and colorized regex make searching through files or text a breeze.
- Plug-In Power – Espresso comes with an extensive plug-in API for actions, syntaxes, formatting, and more. Check out the Power Up section.
- The Dynamics of Static – We dig the inherently secure speed of static websites, and the convenience, reusability and flexibility in dynamic content systems. So, we started Dynamo: Espresso’s built-in build infrastructure. It elevates the languages you know and love, producing content without server requirements. Opt in and discover auto-building with unrivaled Live Preview integration where you need it most.
- Superb CSS – SCSS and LESS are popular for their nested rules, variables and functions. Espresso has fantastic support, even when using them with Preview Overrides.
- Markdown and HTML – Reuse page components with imports and smart paths. Generate entire folders with template mixins (our blog!).
- In-App Beta – Advanced CSS support is solid and absolutely dynamite, but we’re still evaluating some features like folder template mixins. They may change significantly later.
- Say Hello to Clodette – With Quick Publish, Server Sync and Quick Browse, you have the right tools for all your publishing needs. Ready for action in the new Clodette overview menu.
- Server Sync – Keep entire projects in sync with their server. Also pushing a specific folder to a CDN? No problem! Cloud Attack powers super-fast change detection and parallel transfers.
- App-Wide Favorites – Server credentials are now saved globally – or not at all, ideal for one-off transfers. Many sites on one server? One favorite can power multiple Project Servers, each connecting to its own folder.
- Quick Publish on Save – Introduced way back, auto-upload-on-save is still a goodie. Use the action menu for more manual control. All seamlessly integrated with your Project Servers – project-wide or folder specific.
Live Preview and Browser Xray
- Radically re-engineered. The highlights:
- Test your projects in other browsers! Same amazing as-you-type editing and styling capabilities.
- Xray works in Chrome, Firefox and Safari, so you don't have to change your styling workflow at all. This also means you can take advantage of their Web Inspector, Grid Inspector and Responsive Design Mode!
- Far more realistic navigation behavior and resource loading (e.g. with absolute paths).
- The built-in Espresso preview now uses Safari's rendering engine.
- Xray and CSS overrides, now even for SCSS- or LESS-backed style sheets.
- Applied Styles can now be inspected by right-clicking when Xray is active.
Dynamo Auto-Build (in-app beta)
- Easily add powerful smart build behavior by using the Dynamo button in a folder dashboard. Deeply integrated with Live Preview. It is stable and production-ready for style sheet features, but will remain a beta feature until the behavior and syntax is more permanently finalized.
- SCSS and LESS compiling and as-you-type styling with Xray support.
- Markdown and smart HTML statements: imports, variables, fragments, …
- Much more in store, but we're going to expose and grow Dynamo with your feedback.
Editor and Navigator
- Re-Indent HTML, CSS and JS - or extend with the plug-in API.
- Edit and delete multiple selections at once.
- Indentation guides make your code extra readable.
- Bracket balancing makes it easier to see start/end counterparts.
- The Navigator has a new look with much better hierarchical indicators, and adds a Quick Filter.
- Easily duplicate items, as well as lines.
- Miscellaneous text handling improvements.
- Add your favorite text actions and snippets to the toolbar.
- Compact Zen shortcuts are automatically detected and expanded when pressing tab.
- Snippets can have Zen triggers, allowing for complex custom expansions (taking advantage of smart areas).
Workspace and Projects
- Projects have been entirely redesigned. The Workspace can now be shown as a tab bar.
- Quick Filter is much improved, and can show just open files in a new mode.
- Quick Open makes opening files with fingers on the keyboard a breeze.
- Templates let you add anything from simple files to dynamically generated folders.
- The New Project assistant takes full advantage of the new template capabilities.
- Many changes and improvements; e.g. a Folders First setting.
Publish and Servers
- Project Servers have been re-imagined, with a new "Clodette" button menu as the starting point.
- Any project server can now be limited to a specific folder, with smart Sync and Quick Publish support.
- App-wide favorites make sharing connections between projects supremely simple.
- SFTP key-based authentication is now supported from the UI.
- Quick Browse lets you use Espresso as a standalone file transfer client.
macOS 10.12.2 or later, 64-bit processor