DropDMG allows users to quickly create .dmg archives.
Disk images pack entire folders or disks into a single compressed file, either for transport across the Internet or simply for backup. They are Apple’s preferred format for distributing Mac software. Disk images are also the only archive format whose contents you can directly access in the Finder.
DropDMG is the easiest way to create Mac OS X disk images, as well as cross-platform archives. Just drag and drop a folder or file and you’re done. Or, you can drag an existing disk image or archive onto DropDMG to convert it to any of the other supported formats or to burn it to CD or DVD.
DropDMG supports advanced options such as encrypted and segmented disk images, WYSIWYG layout with background pictures and custom volume icons, and rich-text license agreements in multiple languages. There are many time-saving features, and it can also be automated via AppleScript, the command-line, and Automator.
- The Format pop-up menu now makes it clearer which compression algorithm each format uses.
- Improved DropDMG’s file choosing message text to work around OS X 10.11’s behavior of sometimes not showing the panel’s title.
- Improved the way tooltips show file paths when the file no longer exists.
- Improved the error reporting and debug logging for the command-line tool.
- Improved the error reporting for the Software Update… command.
- Improved the error reporting when a Mac App Store receipt cannot be found.
- Made various code modernizations.
- The Command-line tool section of the manual describes how to use DropDMG with Xcode Server.
- Updated the Licenses section of the manual.
- DropDMG now disables full screen mode for its main window to work around a drawing glitch with OS X 10.11.
- Fixed a bug where creating a .sparsebundle or.sparseimage from a package didn’t work.
- Fixed a bug where Mac App Store receipts would not validate if the Mac’s language was set to Hebrew.
- Fixed a bug where if there were repeated errors saving the size of the Finder window, DropDMG would not properly clean up. Now it ejects and deletes the temporary disk image file.
- Updated the German localization.
OS X 10.6.8 or later