DropDMG allows users to quickly create .dmg archives.
Disk images pack entire folders or disks into a single compressed file, either for transport across the Internet or simply for backup. They are Apple’s preferred format for distributing Mac software. Disk images are also the only archive format whose contents you can directly access in the Finder.
DropDMG is the easiest way to create Mac OS X disk images, as well as cross-platform archives. Just drag and drop a folder or file and you’re done. Or, you can drag an existing disk image or archive onto DropDMG to convert it to any of the other supported formats or to burn it to CD or DVD.
DropDMG supports advanced options such as encrypted and segmented disk images, WYSIWYG layout with background pictures and custom volume icons, and rich-text license agreements in multiple languages. There are many time-saving features, and it can also be automated via AppleScript, the command-line, and Automator.
- By default, OS X 10.11 required you to click an Options push button to see the options for the New from Folder/File..., Convert Image/Archive..., Get Image Info..., and Mount Image... commands. DropDMG now shows the options by default.
- Worked around a change in the Finder that caused disk image windows to be too short for the background picture when created using OS X 10.11.
- Worked around a Finder bug in OS X 10.11 that could cause the disk image's icons to be misaligned if the AppleShowAllFiles option was enabled.
- DropDMG will now check that the Finder saved the state of the window status bar and fix it if necessary.
- The Activity window is now shown by default.
- Added the Why doesn't the file I added show up on the disk image? section to the manual.
- Updated the Create OS X Install Disk section of the manual.
- Improved the error messages when the Finder doesn't save the proper window bounds for the mounted disk image.
- If the LayouterCheckViewOptions esoteric preference is set, DropDMG will now check that the icon size, text size, and background picture were correctly saved into the view options (retrying if necessary). This can work around a rare bug that was reported in OS X 10.11.
- Fixed a bug where Mac App Store receipt validation used the current date rather than the receipt creation date.
- Fixed a regression (caused by an Xcode update) where various dialogs and sheets did not show the lock icon to indicate that a passphrase was set.
- Fixed the size of the distribution disk image window.
- Updated code for Xcode 7.2.
- DropDMG is now localized in Simplified Chinese.
OS X 10.6.8 or later