Bookends is a full-featured bibliography/reference and information-management system for students and professionals.
Access the power of Bookends directly from Mellel, Nisus Writer Pro, or MS Word (including Word 2011): Bookends allows you to scan your existing word-processor files and automatically generate finished manuscripts with properly formatted bibliographies. You can also scan Apple Pages ’08, ’09, and 5, and OpenOffice 3 files, or RTF files saved from any word processor.
Bookends allows you to share your references over the Internet with anyone, on any platform. And with Bookends, you can directly search and import references from numerous sources:
- Web of Science
- Google Scholar
- Library of Congress
- and hundreds of other online sources.
Or use a built-in browser to download references with PDF’s and/or Web pages. Also, with automatic searches of PubMed, you can discover articles as soon as they’re published. Bookends allows for powerful group-based searches, with static, smart, and virtual groups.
Bookends also offers a robust assortment of file attachment features:
- Attach any file (such as a PDF) to a reference and view or open it instantly.
- Automatically rename and organize PDF files on-the-fly.
- Automatically download and attach the PDF of an article from the Internet if you have access permission.
- Automatically locate and attach PDF’s on your hard drive.
Sync your library with Bookends On Tap on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, so that you have your references and PDF’s with you, wherever you are.
New File Structure For Preferences:
- The new preference file, called Bookends Preferences and stored in the ~/Library/Application Support/Bookends folder, is much smaller than the old, will not grow in size over time, and is resistant to corruption. Existing preferences as far back as Bookends version 11.0 will be converted to the new schema automatically. If you are upgrading from Bookends 10.x or earlier, preference settings will be reset to the defaults.
Find A Group:
- Use the Action pop-up menu under the groups pane or click on the group list header to search for a specific group. If a match is found Bookends will select that group and scroll to it. If you type in only a partial name, Bookends will search for a group that begins with those letters and select the first one it finds. You can't search for the three mandatory groups: All, Hits, and Attachments.
Improved Single Column Reference List:q
- Bookends remembers the field the list is sorted by when you click on the column header to toggle between descending and ascending sorts. Cosmetic changes.
Improved Drag Visual Feedback:
- The textual content in the drag of items in the reference list will be displayed (e.g. either the temporary citation or, if the Option key is held down, the formatted reference). The pdf proxy icon will be displayed when it is dragged. Previously, only the rectangular outlines of these items were displayed.
Improvements To Openurl:
- Bookends now supports arguments that specify the DOI or PMID: rft_id=info:doi/ and rft_id=info:pmid/, respectively.
- Fixed a bug in Autofill From Internet that uses the ISBN where an editor's name was missed. Fixed a bug where some in-text citations could be missed when scanning a NWP document that as pictures. Fixed several bugs in formatting that affected sorting and numbering of references in a bibliography. Fixed a bug that prevented an online search from being performed if you selected the terms from the search history pop-up menu while the search button was disabled. Fixed an issue that caused an error to be thrown when scanning with certain formats. Fixed a bug that could cause an error when loading preferences. Fixed a bug in the default field settings for the Newspaper Type. Fixed a bug that could cause edited format settings to be saved to the wrong Type if the Type pop-up was used before the information had been saved.
OS X 10.7 or later