Bookends is a full-featured bibliography/reference and information-management system for students and professionals.
Access the power of Bookends directly from Mellel, Nisus Writer Pro, or MS Word (including Word 2011): Bookends allows you to scan your existing word-processor files and automatically generate finished manuscripts with properly formatted bibliographies. You can also scan Apple Pages ’08, ’09, and 5, and OpenOffice 3 files, or RTF files saved from any word processor.
Bookends allows you to share your references over the Internet with anyone, on any platform. And with Bookends, you can directly search and import references from numerous sources:
- Web of Science
- Google Scholar
- Library of Congress
- and hundreds of other online sources.
Or use a built-in browser to download references with PDF’s and/or Web pages. Also, with automatic searches of PubMed, you can discover articles as soon as they’re published. Bookends allows for powerful group-based searches, with static, smart, and virtual groups.
Bookends also offers a robust assortment of file attachment features:
- Attach any file (such as a PDF) to a reference and view or open it instantly.
- Automatically rename and organize PDF files on-the-fly.
- Automatically download and attach the PDF of an article from the Internet if you have access permission.
- Automatically locate and attach PDF’s on your hard drive.
Sync your library with Bookends On Tap on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, so that you have your references and PDF’s with you, wherever you are.
- Improvements in Database Maintenance -> Rebuild and Repair.
- Integration with Manuscripts
- Improved AppleEvent support.
- Online Search has been upgraded to use the HTML/1.1 protocol.
- The boolean setting (AND/OR) for how to combine search results when multiple are selected is remembered between launches.
- Bookends can use a DOI in any field to find the reference online.
- Improved single column reference list.
- Italics in book titles will toggle to plain text if the format calls for the field to be italicized.
- The extension .ris will be added to a file exported as plain text using the RIS format.
- Improved detection of keywords when importing from PubMed via Online Search.
- Bug fixes: Fixed an issue where a Rebuilt synced library would perform an unnecessary cloud sync when it was closed. Fixed a problem where a DOI in a PDF could be mistakenly found on PubMed and the wrong metadata imported. Fixed a spurious error that could occur when checking for a new version. Fixed a bug that could cause an error when syncing with Bookends On Tap. Fixed an error message that could appear after doing an autocomplete paper using Web of Science. Fixed multiple issues with Bookends Server. Fixed an issue where reference sync status was included when copying a reference from one library to another. Fixed a bug where Autofill From Internet could increment the disambiguating letter in the Key field if BibTeX was enabled. The date modified will not be changed when dragging a reference from one library to another. Fixed a bug that could cause an error when using Global Change -> Modify PDF Tags. Fixed a bug that in rare cases could cause a spurious number to be added to a citation date during disambiguation when formatting. Fixed an issue where importing many references from the watch folder using a slow Internet connection could have unpredictable consequences. Fixed a bug where drags from a Term List were not being displayed in the reference field. Fixed several bugs dealing with formatting metatypes. Super- and subscripts will render properly when sending a bibliography to disk as styled text.
OS X 10.7 or later