BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents.
- Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
- Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, XZ, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX, DMG, EPUB, and Winmail.dat.
- Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
- Protect Your Data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
- Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
- Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac-specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
- Added a list of file extensions that shouldn't be opened as archives: .xlsx, .docx, .pages, and .numbers by default. Add your own on the "Hidden Settings" page in the BetterZip help.
- Added column "Total Size" that includes the resource fork's (._ file's) size.
- BetterZip now lets you drag images from your web browser and drop them directly into an archive window.
- Added a hidden setting for choosing what to do when clicking a file in the QL panel: open the archive in BetterZip and select the clicked file, extract the file and open it, or extract the file and reveal it in Finder.
- Added a hidden setting that allows you to activate an additional switch in extraction presets to overwrite files without warning. Don't use this switch!
- Added an option to the extraction presets that allows you to close the archive window after successful extraction.
- The password suggestion popover annoyed me a bit, so I converted it to a drop-down button inside the password panel. I also added a hidden setting to control how many words make up a suggested password.
- Added a hidden setting to add a folder's contents in the root of the archive instead of the folder itself when compressing one folder through the operations queue.
- Updated Sparkle framework to the latest version.
- Simplified the Quick Look plugin's "simple mode" even more to allow for even larger archives (OS X imposes a memory limit on QL plugins).
- Broken and multi-volume RAR archives with missing parts are handled more gracefully and can be extracted as far as no data from the missing or broken parts is needed. BetterZip will now show you which part is missing.
- Header encryption was dropped when re-saving RAR or 7z archives that originally had it turned on.
- Tar archives with their resource forks in extra . folders couldn't be extracted with all extraction methods.
OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor