BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents.
- Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
- Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX.
- Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
- Protect Your Data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create WinZip compatible AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
- Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
- Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
Note: Now requires OS X 10.9 or later running on a 64-bit Intel processor.
- Clicking the toolbar button "Save" for an existing archive now saves it instead of using the default toolbar button preset to re-save it. If you don’t want this new behavior, you can stay with the old one by switching it on the "Hidden Settings" page in the BetterZip help.
- Included the latest unrar library 5.2.7.
- BetterZip could crash when extracting archives with the operations queue.
- On OS X 10.9 zip and 7z archives couldn’t be quick looked in the Finder.
- Canceling Direct Mode toggling via the toolbar didn’t work correctly.
- Fixed a superfluous error message when extracting a folder while also selecting its contents.
- The progressbar didn’t always update correctly when saving archives.
- Compressing files by dropping them on the queue window was broken.
- Password handling was not working correctly in some situation.
OS X 10.9 or later