Better Blocker (was Better) is a web privacy tool for Safari on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. It protects you from tracking and behavioural advertising on the web by enforcing the principles of the Ethical Design Manifesto (ind.ie/ethical-design).
Better Blocker is developed and curated by Ind.ie – that’s Laura, Aral, and Osky – we’re a tiny two-person-and-one-husky social enterprise striving for social justice in the digital age. (Osky doesn’t code much.)
- Blocks trackers and behavioural advertising.
- We maintain our own block list based on our own web crawls to identify and block the most prevalent trackers. This makes Better’s block list lightweight and effective.
- Improves the readability of popular web sites.
- Easily contact us about sites that don’t play well with Better so we can fix it for everyone. (You can also add exceptions to turn Better off for certain sites until we’ve had a chance to fix things.)
- Teaches you about trackers with encyclopedia-like entries.
- Spotlights the worst offenders… Did you know that the worst site we found on the web had 172 trackers? Better blocks them all and makes that site 4× lighter and 15.8× faster!
- Blocks blocker blockers (try saying that quickly a few times). Read our open letter to Wired in the app or on our web site to find out why blocking blockers puts people at risk on the web.
- It’s open… anyone can help make Better even better.
- Even simpler interface, consistent with the iOS version.
- Displays version and last update information for blocking rules.
- Exceptions is now called the Do Not Block list.
- Fixes El Capitan crash.
- Comes bundled with the latest blocking rules.
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor