BBEdit is the leading professional HTML and text editor for the Mac. Specifically crafted in response to the needs of Web authors and software developers, this award-winning product provides a plethora of features for editing, searching, and manipulation of text. BBEdit transforms text with high performance.
An intelligent interface provides easy access to BBEdit’s best of class features including grep pattern matching, search and replace across multiple files, function navigation and syntax coloring for numerous source code languages, FTP and SFTP open and save, AppleScript, Perl, and OS X Unix scripting support, glossary support, and a complete set of HTML tools.
- In order to work around a crash in the OS (Radar 35052088), BBEdit will no longer submit recently opened items to the system-wide "Recent Items" list that appears on the Apple and Dock menus. We regret any inconvenience this may cause, and hope that it is strictly temporary.
- Fixed bug in which menu items indicated by searching for them using the Help search box would be disabled in situations where they shouldn't have been.
- Fixed bug in which the "Update" scripting event would return an error.
- BBEdit now writes out temporary files for live preview windows with 644 permissions, so that other processes (such as Apache) can read the file if necessary.
- Fixed a bug in which a request from the command line (or elsewhere) to open an sftp URL without a username (or password) would return a -50 error.
- Fixed a memory leak in the SFTP client listing code.
- Fixed bug in which twisting open an item in the FTP/SFTP browser would not always show its contents.
- Fixed a collection of bugs that conspired to slow down SFTP operations, particularly the initial connection to the remote server.
- Fixed a bug in which attempting to create a new FTP/SFTP item with the same name as one that was just deleted would report that an item with the same name already existed.
- Fixed a bug in which the FTP/SFTP navigation popup menu would not display all of the folder names in the ancestry chain if two adjacent folder names were spelled the same. (Thanks, NSPopUpButton, you're a real big help.)
- Fixed a regression in which "Save [a Copy] to FTP/SFTP" server didn't pick up on an active connection in cases where an FTP/SFTP browser window was open.
- Fixed bug in which dragging the title bar icon from a window displaying a document opened via the built-in FTP/SFTP support would drag the location of its backing file, and not the remote URL.
- Fixed bug in which the "Save [a Copy] to FTP/SFTP Server" panel didn't automatically connect to the destination server in cases where it had enough information available to do so.
- After connecting to a server, the FTP/SFTP browser window will move keyboard focus to the listing view; and after disconnecting, it will move focus back to the "Connect" button. This will save a press or two of the Tab key.
- Fixed bug in which disconnecting from an SFTP server would never take less than two seconds, which made processes like reopening a lot of SFTP files at application startup take much longer than they should have.
- Made a change to SFTP I/O to improve performance and CPU efficiency when waiting for data to arrive.
- Fixed a bug in which the SFTP client would report a successful "change working directory" operation even if the desired directory did not exist. Usually this would cause problems when deploying a site and adding directories that were not present the remote server.
- Fixed bug in which a -1704 error would be reported when choosing a directory from the title bar menu for a document that had been opened via the built-in FTP/SFTP support.
- BBEdit will (once again) warn about malformed UTF-8 files rather than simply refusing to open them.
- Fixed bug in which the "Allow the Escape key to trigger text completion" preference was ignored, and the Esc key did not work to trigger completions.
- Fixed bug in which no completion sources were allowed for plain-text languages (Text File, CSV, TSV), which was not necessarily a useful outcome.
- Fixed layout bugs in the completion panel with certain font/size combinations.
- Made ctl-n and ctl-p functional again in the completion panel.
- Fixed crash which would occur when quitting the application while the completion panel was open.
- Fixed bug in which the mouse/trackpad event that caused dismissal of the completion panel wasn't passed through to the text afterwards.
- Fixed a bug in which the initially selected item in the completion panel wasn't scrolled into view when it should have been.
OS X 10.11.6 or later