Acorn is a new image editor built with one goal in mind – simplicity. Fast, easy, and fluid, Acorn provides the options you’ll need without any overhead. Acorn feels right, and won’t drain your bank account.
- Take screenshots using Acorn and edit them right away.
- Chain together image filters to create stunning effects.
- Layer based image editing, an industry standard.
- Make new images and layers using your built-in iSight.
- Easy image and canvas resizing, just by changing the size of your window.
- Take advantage of every pixel of your monitor with full screen image editing.
- Tablet sensitive for pressure strokes and using the tablet’s eraser.
- Vector shape and text layers.
- Freeform, elliptical, rectangular, and magic wand selections.
- Create and apply custom text styles.
- Control opacity and blending modes for each layer.
- Write plugins using the Python scripting language, as well as in Objective-C.
- GPU powered. The same graphics card that makes your gaming experience smooth, helps Acorn fly through the toughest of graphics operations.
- Fixed a bug where applying a filter to a selection wouldn't work when using the menu item and the layer filters window wasn't already up.
- Fixed a bug where the layer thumbnail wasn't showing a moved selection in bitmap layers.
- Layers with the random noise filter added to it now look better when zoomed out.
- Fixed a bug where checking / unchecking the "preserve transparency" option in the random noise filter wouldn't always update the whole canvas.
- Fixed a bug where merging layers while doing a layer transform would cause your transform to be lost, instead of asking if you wanted to apply or commit it.
- The "New Layer from Selection" command will apply layer filters first for the new layer.
- Fixed a problem where you wouldn't get the right cursor while transforming a bitmap layer after rotating a little bit.
- Fixed some bugs with the Brush Designer where you couldn't enter zero for certain brush settings.
- You can now export brushes from the Brush Designer using the File ▸ Export… menu item.
- Fixed a bug where clearing a selection on a bitmap layer when it wasn't the active layer would sometimes cause cut out and moved bits to not be composited to the layer and - well, it's complicated. And now it's fixed.
- Fixed a crasher caused by closing the shape popover window by pressing the escape key and closing the main window later on.
- Certain selection commands will no longer throw up a sheet when working on locked files.
- Fixed a bug when resetting the Grid, Checkerboard, and Pixellate filters would cause the center point to show up in the wrong spot.
- Change: The Pixellate filter no longer clamps the input image to it's edges. The reason Acorn used to do this to stop the natural transparent edges from appearing. The reason why it was taken out was because it created all kinds of funky side effects with the non-destructive nature of the filters. If you're getting transparent edges, change the input center of the filter to a different value, or adjust the scale of the filter to be a whole multiple of the image size.
- Fixed a problem where the sheet was opening too high when saving a preset for the crop tool.
- Fixed some bugs relating to drag + drop from the layers list into the canvas, and option + drag (to make a copy of the current bitmap layer) directly in the canvas.
- Changed the new document tab order so that moving from the width field goes directly to the hight field, and then the unit popup after that.
- Fixed a glitch where moving the canvas from a retina to non retina display would cause the checkerboard background to move a little.
- Fixed a bug where the New View window was scaling incorrect when moving from a regular display to a retina display.
- Change: Window ▸ New View windows are now offset by 20pt from the original image instead of matching the frame exactly.
- Fixed a bug where the checkered background for the Window ▸ New View window wasn't drawing correctly on retina displays.
- Fixed a bug where the About box and Feedback window were stuck behind Acorn's welcome window.
- Fixed a bug where bezier shapes were drawing the wrong bounding boxes.
- Fixed a regression where filters weren't working on layer masks.
- Change: PSD files are now opened up as Untitled documents since Acorn won't ever save them in place (export only) and it also works better with autosave and versions support now.
- Fixed some problems when trying to use selection tools on layer masks that belonged to group and shape layers.
- Fixed a bug where the cursor wouldn't always update correctly when moving in and out of a selection.
- Fixed a bug where the option to turn of antialiasing for shapes wasn't working with the text tool.
- Fixed a bug where Acorn would sometimes restore an empty selection when opening a .acorn file.
- Fixed a bug where making a selection from a layer wouldn't update the selection size in the selection palette.
- Fixed a problem where the layers list would not scroll to the selected layer when you selected a new layer in the canvas.
- Better defaults for shape settings when you launch Acorn for the first time.
- Fixed a crasher that would sporadically happen when you register Acorn.
Intel, 64-bit processor
OS X 10.8 or later